• 새글
  • 접속자(333)
  • 검색
  • |
  • 로그인
  • 회원가입

[CCEF] When suicide comes close by Ed Welch

When suicide comes close by Ed Welch

I will never forget the first time suicide came close to me. I met with a young woman who was leaving her mission work in Eastern Europe. She was haunted by an experience but could not even talk about it—my guess was that she was burdened by an inappropriate relationship with a young man who lived there.

Two months later I received a letter from her parents. “We want to thank you for your kindness toward our daughter and let you know that her misery is now over. She took her own life two weeks ago.” The letter was full of faith, grace, hope and grief. I kept it in the top drawer of my desk for over a decade, though I did not need either the reminder that those we care about can take their own lives or the added injection of guilt and endless “what if’s.” They were already inscribed in me. The only reason my regrets from her death don’t linger is that they have been replaced by other suicides.

Suicide has come close to most of us. We have read of the recent suicide of a beloved pastor’s son. We know that military veterans take their own lives every day, and even children can speak about an internal darkness that once was only found in those with accumulated years of trouble and pain.

What have we learned?

• Most suicide is connected to depression. Somehow, depression is even worse than chronic physical pain. Perhaps this is because people in physical pain can still see the good in life and can still hope, while those who are depressed are handicapped at seeing either.
  • Those who are depressed can seem to be doing better before they take their own life. This does not always happen, and a lifting of depression is not evidence that suicide is sure to come. It simply means that a sure prediction of suicide is only possible after someone has taken his or her life, not before.
  • Suicide leaves a broad wake of regrets. Hindsight causes us to think of dozens of things we could have done differently. The reality is that we are people who can control very little.
  • When we notice a loved one withdrawing from things once enjoyed, such as people, hobbies, work or even aesthetic pleasures, we move toward that person and ask the questions that are on our hearts. “How are you? I have been wondering if life has been hard for you recently.” “You have been on my mind. Maybe that’s because you seem a little more withdrawn and sad. How can I pray for you?”
  • When we are concerned for another person and don’t know how to help, we ask wise members of the community to partner with us.
  • When hope wanes, human life is in jeopardy. The two are inseparably linked. So we set out to become people of hope, which just happens to be a dominant message throughout the New Testament. The early church had an intimate knowledge of human suffering. They knew something of a life that seemed devoid of the good. They had to practice seeing eternal realities by faith or they would not last the day. You can almost hear them talking among themselves after reading an apostolic letter: “Brother, sister, let’s endure together, let’s set our eyes on Jesus, let’s reach out and taste the joy that is just up ahead, and let’s pray that the Spirit would give us these things.”

Lord have mercy on those besieged by depression. Don’t let the darkness talk to them. May they hear words of a deeper reality and the genuine hope we have because Jesus is alive.

출처 : https://www.ccef.org/when-suicide-comes-close/

1.상담챠트
2.신체문제
3.정신구조
4.마음이해
5.변화과정

상담시리즈 현장실시간 학차신청 세미나

필독서1
필독서2

원장 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 2019-12-09 (월) 15:00 4년전
PAPAGO PC용

웹사이트 번역
    GYM
    사전

사용자 링크

로그인
    서비스 더보기

발음 듣기

반복 듣기

속도
목소리
발음 보기

외국어 발음을 한글로 보여주는 기능입니다.예) How much is it? > 하우 머치 이즈 잇?

영어
    일본어

PAPAGO WEB 번역기

웬 수어사이드 컴즈 클로우스 바이 에드 웰치 아이 윌 네버 퍼겟 더 퍼스트 타임 수어사이드 케임 클로우스 투 에미 아이 멧 윋 어 영 워먼 후 와즈 리빙 허 미션 웍 인 이스턴 이유아아로우피이 쉬 와즈 혼터드 바이 앤 이 ...더보기

3417 / 5000
자동완성
에드 웰치가 자살할 때

나는 처음으로 자살이 내게 다가왔을 때를 결코 잊지 않을 것이다. 나는 동유럽에서 선교활동을 떠나는 젊은 여자를 만났다. 그녀는 어떤 경험에 시달렸지만 그것에 대해서는 말할 수도 없었다. 내 추측으로는 그녀는 그곳에 사는 젊은 남자와의 부적절한 관계에 부담을 느끼고 있었던 것 같다.

두 달 후에 나는 그녀의 부모님으로부터 편지를 받았다. "우리 딸에 대한 당신의 친절에 감사하고 그녀의 불행은 이제 끝났다는 것을 알려주고 싶소. 그녀는 2주 전에 스스로 목숨을 끊었다." 편지에는 믿음과 은혜, 희망과 슬픔이 가득했다. 나는 우리가 아끼는 사람들이 스스로 목숨을 끊을 수 있다는 것을 상기시키거나 죄책감과 끝없는 "만일이라면"을 주입할 필요가 없었지만, 그것을 10년 이상 책상 위 서랍에 보관했다. 그것들은 이미 내 안에 새겨져 있었다. 그녀의 죽음으로 인한 나의 후회가 떠나지 않는 유일한 이유는 그들이 다른 자살로 대체되었기 때문이다.

자살이 우리 대부분에게 가까이 왔다. 우리는 최근에 목사의 사랑하는 아들의 자살에 대해 읽었다. 우리는 군 참전용사들이 매일 스스로 목숨을 끊는 것을 알고 있으며, 어린이들조차 한 때 누적된 고난과 고통이 있는 사람들에서만 발견되었던 내면의 어둠에 대해 말할 수 있다.

우리는 무엇을 배웠는가?

대부분의 자살은 우울증과 관련이 있다. 왠지 우울증은 만성적인 육체적 고통보다 더 심하다. 아마도 이것은 육체적인 고통을 겪고 있는 사람들은 여전히 삶의 좋은 점을 볼 수 있고 여전히 희망을 가질 수 있는 반면, 우울증에 걸린 사람들은 또한 볼 수 없는 장애인이기 때문일 것이다.
우울증이 있는 사람들은 스스로 목숨을 끊기 전에 더 잘 하고 있는 것처럼 보일 수 있다. 이것이 항상 일어나는 것은 아니며, 우울증의 해소는 자살이 반드시 올 것이라는 증거가 아니다. 그것은 단순히 확실한 자살 예측이 이전이 아니라 누군가가 목숨을 끊은 후에만 가능하다는 것을 의미한다.
자살은 후회를 크게 남긴다. 힌디어는 우리가 다르게 할 수 있었던 수십 가지 일들을 생각하게 한다. 현실은 우리가 거의 통제할 수 없는 사람들이라는 것이다.
사랑하는 사람이 사람, 취미, 직장, 미적 즐거움 등 한때 즐겼던 일에서 철수하는 것을 발견하면 우리는 그 사람을 향해 나아가서 마음에 걸린 질문을 던진다. "어떻게 지내십니까? 최근 들어 자네에게 생활이 힘들지 않았나 하는 생각이 들더군." "너희들은 줄곧 내 마음 속에 있었구나. 조금 더 내성적이고 슬픈 것 같아서 그런가 보다. 내가 어떻게 너를 위해 기도할 수 있겠니?"
우리가 다른 사람을 걱정하고 도울 방법을 모를 때, 우리는 사회의 현명한 구성원들에게 우리와 함께 협력할 것을 요청한다.
희망이 사라지면 인간의 생명이 위태로워진다. 그 두 가지는 분명히 연결되어 있다. 그래서 우리는 희망의 사람들이 되기 시작했는데, 그것은 우연히 신약성서 전반에 걸쳐 지배적인 메시지가 되었다. 초기 교회는 인간의 고통에 대해 깊은 지식을 가지고 있었다. 그들은 선인 것 같지 않은 삶의 어떤 것을 알고 있었다. 그들은 믿음에 의해 영원한 현실을 보는 연습을 해야 했다. 그렇지 않으면 그들은 하루를 버티지 못할 것이다. [형님, 자매님, 함께 견디자, 예수님에게 눈독을 들이고, 바로 앞에 있는 기쁨을 손을 뻗어 맛보고, 영이 우리에게 이런 것들을 주시기를 기도하자]는 사도적인 편지를 읽고 나서 그들끼리 이야기하는 것을 거의 들을 수 있을 것이다.

주님은 우울증에 휩싸인 자들에게 자비를 베푸소서. 어둠을 그들에게 말하지 마라. 예수께서 살아 계셔서 우리가 가진 더 깊은 현실과 진정한 희망의 말씀을 그들이 듣기를.
주소 추천 0