• 새글
  • 접속자(367)
  • 검색
  • |
  • 로그인
  • 회원가입

[CCEF] How Do I Deal With Seasonal Depression?

Featured In This Podcast:

Hi, my name is Alasdair Groves. I am the host of the podcast Where Life & Scripture Meet, a podcast of CCEF, where we reflect on the endless ways that Scripture meets us in the hard challenges of real life. Given the season, we thought it would be a fitting time, at least in the northern hemisphere, to talk about how changing seasons can affect us and, particularly, the darkness of winter time. Call it seasonal depression. Call it seasonal affective disorder. Call it the winter blues. We want to think a little bit about this particular way that human beings get impacted by our surroundings and what we might do in response.

First off, as the podcast team was talking about this, we were thinking about what is the challenge in real life that we see here? What are we seeing in our counseling? What are we seeing in our friendships? What are we seeing in ourselves? And our first conversation was really, we don’t want to get hung up on the terminology. Is it seasonal affective disorder? Is it seasonal depression? Is it winter blues? Is it something else? So I’m going to use the term “seasonal depression” as we talk, but the idea here is one in which the darkening of the world—that it gets dark early, it stays dark late, and everything just feels grayer, duller, darker, I find it harder to get out of bed in the morning, harder to have energy. And there could be a thousand points along that spectrum from mild, I’m not even really aware of it, but it’s probably impacting me, all the way to absolute depression is a fair word to use for what I’m experiencing.

And I think one of the great things about talking about this particular issue of seasonal depression is it just reminds us, in a very direct way, of the complexity of what it means to be human. We are both body and soul. And when something, as I’ll use the word simple, I hope you know what I mean? When something as simple as the change of season affects us in such a baseline physiological way. And again, whether that has to more vitamin D or diurnal rhythms, or just you’re indoors more, or your body is shutting down earlier in the day, or you have less energy, or even just a cold saps you. And again, maybe it’s not all that cold where you are in the winter. I live in New Hampshire, so I think about the chilliness, and that does start to have an impact. But whatever combination of factors, there’s a way in which your body itself is being impacted by the world around you. And as your body is impacted, again, whether that’s more about energy, mood, motivation, you’re having some aspect of your physical experience change. And that’s having an impact on your soul, on how you see, and think, and what you want, and what you desire, and how you perceive. And there’s this incredible back and forth that God has built into who we are as human beings by giving us bodies and souls that are knitted together in this way, that cannot be separated in this life. So thinking about it, for me, I would just personally say, seasonal depression is not something I would say I struggle with enormously. Although I would say, as I get older, I do feel like the impact of it has grown larger. And actually living further north, I grew up about 400 miles south of here, and I think it has been more pronounced in a more northern setting where the earliness of that darkness is probably the place where I experience it the most. I would probably say, for me, it’s almost like I would describe it as like a claustrophobia of darkness. That looking out the window and seeing that it’s already dark late afternoon, long before I leave to go home. There’s something about that I feel just a little bit trapped. I feel a little bit antsy. I feel a little caught in that. It’s hard to put words on, but I’m sure that impacts even how I handle some of the stresses that are there in the middle of the summer.

So what is the core issue here? What can we do? What do we think about this from a biblical perspective? Well, it’s not like there isn’t lots of good material out there with good, wise suggestions—very basic, more complex. I would say most of the stuff that I’ve seen on seasonal depression, it tends to be really winsome, simple articulations of things that you already knew were good. Talking about learning to get outside, to enjoy being outside, making sure not to isolate from other people, pressing into relationships, reading your Bible and letting that speak to you with the comforts from the Lord, being careful about things like healthy diet and exercise, and so on and so forth. And the problem, as we talked about this as a team, and as I was asking, “What were you guys finding as you talk about these things?” I loved what one of my colleagues said. She just said it’s not a lack of knowledge of what would be helpful. It’s the fact that the very problem itself is that one is less motivated, feels less able, feels less willing to do the very things that you know are helpful. There’s lots of self-help out there, if you will, and the problem is that we are not good at helping ourselves, especially when any energy drain, motivation drain is there pulling on us on a physical level. The things you know you could or should be doing don’t seem to be helping, and partly because you don’t, partly because you feel like you can’t, and partly because even when you do, they don’t feel all that helpful in making it go away.

So what do we do with that? What is the solution? And I want to be careful in even using a word like solution as if, if you just do the right things, you won’t be affected by seasonal depression, or you can relieve it by 73% if you just do X, Y, and Z. I have no simple, easy answer, but I do have a couple of orienting thoughts that I’d love to share.

Thought number one. There is no passage in Scripture, at least not directly so, about seasonal depression. But the Bible is full, absolutely exploding, with help for people who don’t do the things they know are right, and good, and helpful. The Bible is all about help for those who are not helping themselves as they should. I mean, there are so many places we could go in terms of the Lord, in Exodus coming to his people who are enslaved and bringing good news that there’s going to be deliverance, and I’ve seen and heard you, and the people can’t make heads or tails of it. It doesn’t even seem to help them at all. Their oppression is so severe. So we have a God who knows that even words of hope will not always move in and make lots of change for us. We have a God who forgives our sins, and failures, and our repeated sins. He’s the 70-times-seven forgiving God in the face of us doing things that harm us, that pull us off the path of life. He’s the one who says he will give strength and provide us a way out when we are tempted. That he will give strength to do the things he calls us to do. He’ll be with you. I think the place I would love to focus and probably land would simply be the language of Psalm 121. That God is our keeper. That he is the one who holds us. And there’s actually something about lifting our eyes up and even seeing something in Psalm 121, the images of the mountains, where, of course, you see the grandeur and the majesty of what God has created. And the reminder is that, while the nations around them are going up and sacrificing on top of those mountains to false idols that do not bring any help, the psalmist is reminded: this is a real picture of help. This is the God who made me. This is the God who holds me kindly and tenderly in his hand. He’s the one who made the mountains. There’s something about the majesty of any aspect of nature. This almost picks the mountains in this particular case that wonderfully reminds him who his keeper is. The one who does not sleep or slumber, who is constantly watchful, watching over, holding, guarding his steps, keeping his way. We are never outside of the tender care of God. It’s true when we sleep. It’s true when we struggle to get out of bed. It’s true when we fail to read the Bible. It’s true when we aren’t eating healthily. It’s true when everything just feels bleak. And we know we ought to do one more thing or keep moving, and we just don’t want to. Whether we do or not, we have a keeper who sees, guards, holds, draws us again and again to himself.

And that has some implications for us. First off, it reminds us that if we have a keeper, then every little step is one that we can trust him to redeem, even if our steps are faltering. So if you will, while there may be things you aren’t doing, in fact, maybe things that you can’t do, or at least not in the way you would have done them in a different season when there is less of a drag on you from the gloom and the drear of the season. But there are things you are doing and can do. And there is something wonderful about pressing into an awareness that it does matter. The simple things that you often take for granted, they really do matter. We’re a bunch of counselors at CCEF. When people simply show up for counseling, there is a gain, and a win, and a blessing. That is part of the Lord keeping you, is simply putting yourself in front of someone else who is there to help you to grow, to process, to change, to grieve, to worship. Simply showing up to church and being among the people of God, and hearing words, and singing words, and being amongst people who are praying. Simply showing up to work, simply showing up to family dinner, simply doing some of the basic things. Another of our colleagues once said that his hero was someone he counseled who was deeply depressed, and who got out of bed in the morning, purely because he knew that Christ was calling him out of bed in the morning. He said, I only get out in the of bed in the morning because of Jesus. And our colleague said that is not bare minimum faith. That is absolutely the pinnacle, the crown—when we do things, because we are conscious that God calls us to do them, even if it’s simply getting out of bed in the morning. And that is an enormous victory of faith. When it comes to all the good things you know you should be doing, exercise, and diets, and people, and so on and so forth… perhaps, for you, a step of faith, a voicing of confidence in Christ to keep you, would be to simply pick one of them, and to tell at least one other person, maybe just by text: “I want to grow in this in the next week. Will you pray for me? And will follow-up and check in on me, at some point, in the next week?” Just some little way of saying, “I don’t even know quite how to grow in this. I don’t even necessarily have a plan, but I want to grow here. Will you pray?” And it’s a scary thing to pray. It’s a scary thing to ask someone else to pray or to check in. You’re set up to fail all the more, all the more publicly. Oh no, now the pressure’s on. But in fact, the exact opposite is true. To reach out, to say I need something outside myself, to acknowledge inaction, our insufficiency as individuals, that we were made for community, for help, to be needy, to have the encouragement and spurring on toward love and good deeds from one another. That is a deeply human godly act of faith.

I think about, in particular, reading Scripture. Reading your Bible is always, always a good idea. It’s always a good thing to do. And so often I hear people who speak about not reading the Bible, or struggling to read the Bible, or reading it not as often as they feel like they should. The language is a language of guilt. I failed here. I didn’t do the Bible reading I was supposed to. I didn’t read it today. And the way they come away is basically: I feel guilty and bad that I didn’t do it. I need to make up for this. I need to get back on track. Now, of course, in one sense, there’s nothing wrong with having a discipline and holding oneself to things and recognizing, yes, this would be good to do. But when I think about, I was so busy on a given day, or had so much going on, or I was so stressed that I ended up not being able to eat lunch on that day. About four o’clock that afternoon, I’m not feeling guilty. I’m feeling hungry. I’m feeling desperate for food, and that is what I aspire to feel when I don’t read Scripture on a given day. And that’s what I aspire for you to feel when you don’t read Scripture, or even on a day, whether it’s done a given hour, or you did read Scripture this morning, but you needed it again desperately this afternoon, and you didn’t go to it. Would you aspire to hunger and thirst for righteousness, to hunger and thirst to hear the word of God? And again, to the extent that you hear this and you go, “Yeah, I’m not hungry for the Bible.” There’s something, especially in the winter, I just don’t feel like it. And when I make myself do it, it doesn’t come alive. Again, let that be your cry of prayer. Oh Lord, would you help me become more hungry for your words? Would you speak that request to someone else and ask them to pray for you too? “Will you pray that I would just be hungrier for the Bible, and that it would come, even just a little bit more alive to me, when I do open its pages. That the Lord would do something, in me, move me in some way.”

I’ll close with this thought from our beloved mentor, friend, former colleague, David Powlison. He said so much of the Christian life, so much of sanctification, being drawn into the image of Christ, so much of it is about facing the right direction. He said some seasons, you feel like you’re running across the plain, like a gazelle, leaping, and bounding, and growing in faith. And that’s lovely, and wonderful, exciting, but sometimes you feel like you aren’t moving at all. And you need to know, in those times, that simply facing the right direction is a profound win, even when you can’t take a step forward. And he always used to use the metaphor of the undertow in the ocean. If you are out to mid-chest in the ocean, and you turn back toward the shore, and suddenly you realize that there is a current, an undertow, sucking out towards the ocean, you dig your feet into the sand. It may be all you can do simply to keep yourself facing towards shore, simply not moving and not being swept away out into the sea. Sometimes, in some seasons of our life, simply to keep your face set toward life, towards the shore, towards what you need, toward the Lord—sometimes that is the profoundest of victories. And I think for many of us, the undertow of the dark waters of that winter season, of that sucking, dreary, energy-less pull away from what we know to be good. Sometimes simply keeping your face set toward the shore, toward the Lord, toward his ability to keep you, is exactly the win, the glory, the joy, the restoration, the keeping that we need. Let me pray.

God, I just pray for each and every listener, as things are weighing on our hearts, and on our bodies. For many of us, there will even be, in this season, a way in which this season itself is affecting us. Would you help us to know that you are our keeper? Would you meet us in the exact personally tailored ways that you know we need? And would you make us just a little bit hungrier for your presence, your help, and your love? Amen.

1.상담챠트
2.신체문제
3.정신구조
4.마음이해
5.변화과정

상담시리즈 현장실시간 학차신청 세미나

필독서1
필독서2

이명선 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 2022-01-09 (일) 10:26 2년전
(파파고 번역)

계절성 우울증에 어떻게 대처해야 할까요?
2022년 1월 5일

계절성 우울증에 어떻게 대처해야 할까요?
0:00:00 / 0:19:34
다운로드 계절성 우울증에 대처하는 방법

이 팟캐스트 특집 기사:

알라스데어 그로브스
- 전무이사

주제: 우울증, 감정, 계절성 정서 장애

안녕하세요, 제 이름은 알라스데어 그로브스입니다. 저는 성경이 현실의 힘든 도전 속에서 우리를 만나는 끝없는 방법을 되새기는 CCEF의 팟캐스트 '삶과 성경이 만나는 곳'의 사회를 맡고 있습니다. 계절을 고려할 때, 우리는 계절의 변화가 우리에게 어떤 영향을 미칠 수 있는지, 특히 겨울의 어둠에 대해 이야기하기에 적어도 북반구에서는 적절한 시기라고 생각했다. 계절성 우울증이라고 부르죠 계절성 정서 장애라고 부르죠 겨울 블루스라고 불러요 우리는 인간이 환경에 의해 영향을 받는 이 특별한 방법에 대해 조금이나마 생각해보고자 합니다. 그리고 우리가 이에 대응하여 무엇을 할 수 있을지 말입니다.

먼저 팟캐스트 팀이 이런 얘기를 하면서 저희가 지금 여기서 보고 있는 현실에서의 도전은 무엇일까. 우리의 상담에 어떤 점이 있을까요? 우리의 우정에서 무엇을 보는가? 우리 스스로가 뭘 보고 있는 걸까? 그리고 우리의 첫 대화는, 우리는 그 용어에 얽매이고 싶지 않다는 것이었습니다. 계절성 정서 장애인가요? 계절성 우울증인가요? 겨울 블루스인가요? 다른 건가요? 그래서 저는 계절성 우울증이라는 용어를 사용하려고 합니다. 하지만 여기서의 아이디어는 세상의 어두움이 일찍 어두워지고, 늦게 어두워지고, 모든 것이 회색, 칙칙하게 느껴지고, 아침에 침대에서 일어나기 더 힘들어지고, 에너지를 얻는 것이 더 힘들어진다는 것입니다. 그리고 그 스펙트럼을 따라 천개의 점들이 있을 수 있습니다. 저는 잘 알지도 못하지만, 그것은 아마도 저에게 영향을 미칠 것입니다. 절대적인 우울증에 이르기까지 모든 것은 제가 경험하는 것에 적절한 단어입니다.

계절성 우울증에 대해 이야기하는 것의 가장 좋은 점 중 하나는 이것이 우리에게 인간이 되는 것의 복잡성에 대해 직접적으로 상기시켜준다는 것입니다. 우리 둘 다 몸과 영혼입니다. 그리고 제가 간단한 단어를 사용할 때, 무슨 뜻인지 아시길 바랍니다. 계절의 변화처럼 간단한 것이 우리에게 생리적인 방식으로 영향을 미칠 때. 그리고 다시 말씀드리지만, 비타민 D나 주행성 리듬이 더 많은지 아니면 실내에서 더 많은 시간을 보내는지, 아니면 낮에 몸이 활동을 멈추는지, 아니면 에너지가 덜한지, 아니면 감기에 걸렸을지 말입니다. 그리고 다시 말하지만, 겨울에 여러분이 있는 곳은 그렇게 춥지 않을 수도 있습니다. 나는 뉴햄프셔에 살아서 냉기에 대해 생각해, 그리고 그것은 영향을 미치기 시작했어. 하지만 어떤 요인의 조합이든지 간에, 여러분의 몸 자체가 여러분 주변의 세계에 의해 영향을 받는 방법이 있습니다. 그리고 여러분의 몸이 영향을 받게 되면, 다시 말하지만, 그것이 에너지, 기분, 동기부여 때문인지 아닌지는 여러분의 신체적인 경험의 변화 중 어떤 측면을 가지게 됩니다. 그리고 그것은 당신의 영혼에 영향을 미칩니다. 어떻게 보고 생각하고, 무엇을 원하는지, 무엇을 원하는지, 그리고 어떻게 인지하는지에 영향을 미칩니다. 그리고 하나님은 이런 놀라운 앞뒤로 우리가 인간이라는 것을 만들어 내셨습니다. 이런 식으로 엮여진 몸과 영혼을 우리에게 주셨지요. 이 삶에서 분리될 수 없는 것들입니다. 생각해보면, 저는 개인적으로 계절성 우울증은 제가 크게 고민하는 것이 아니라고 말하고 싶습니다. 나이가 들면서 그 영향이 더 커진 것 같다고 말하고 싶지만요. 그리고 사실 저는 여기서 남쪽으로 400마일 떨어진 곳에서 자랐습니다. 그리고 제 생각엔 더 북쪽의 환경에서 더 두드러졌습니다. 그 어둠의 청아함이 아마도 제가 가장 많이 경험하는 곳일 것입니다. 아마도, 제게는, 마치 어둠에 대한 폐소공포증처럼 묘사할 수 있을 것 같습니다. 창문 밖을 내다보고 오후 늦게 어두워진 걸 봤다는 것, 집으로 가기 위해 떠나기 훨씬 전에 말이야. 뭔가 덫에 걸린 것 같은 느낌이 들어요. 저는 약간 불안해요. 나는 그것에 약간 휘말린 느낌이다. 말로 표현하기는 어렵지만, 그것이 한여름에 쌓인 스트레스를 어떻게 감당하느냐에도 영향을 미친다고 확신합니다.

그렇다면 여기서 핵심 쟁점은 무엇일까요? 우리가 뭘 할 수 있지? 우리는 이것에 대해 성경의 관점에서 어떻게 생각하나요? 글쎄요, 좋은 제안과 현명한 제안이 있는 좋은 자료가 많지 않은 것은 아닙니다. 매우 기본적이고 복잡합니다. 계절성 우울증에 대해 제가 본 대부분의 것들은 정말 매력적이고, 여러분이 이미 알고 있는 것들을 간단하게 표현하는 경향이 있습니다. 바깥에 나가는 법을 배우고, 바깥에 있는 것을 즐기고, 다른 사람들로부터 고립되지 않도록 하고, 인간관계를 압박하고, 성경을 읽고, 그것이 여러분에게 말할 수 있도록 하고, 건강한 식이요법과 운동 등에 대해 조심하는 것 등에 대해 이야기합니다. 문제는, 우리가 팀으로서 이것에 대해 이야기 할 때, 그리고 제가 물었을 때, "여러분들은 이런 것들에 대해 이야기하면서 무엇을 찾았나요?" 저는 동료 중 한 명이 한 말이 너무 좋았어요. 그녀는 단지 무엇이 도움이 될지에 대한 지식이 부족하지 않다고 말했다. 바로 그 문제 자체가 의욕이 떨어지고, 능력이 떨어지고, 도움이 된다고 생각하는 바로 그 일을 하려는 의지가 떨어진다는 사실입니다. 많은 자활이 있습니다. 문제는 우리가 스스로를 돕는데 능숙하지 않다는 것입니다. 특히 에너지가 고갈될 때, 동기부여는 우리를 육체적으로 끌어당기고 있습니다. 여러분이 할 수 있거나 해야 하는 것들은 도움이 되지 않는 것처럼 보이고, 일부는 여러분이 할 수 없다고 느끼기 때문이고, 일부는 여러분이 할 수 없다고 느끼기 때문이고, 일부는 여러분이 할 수 있을 때, 그들이 그것을 없애는데 도움이 되지 않는다고 느끼기 때문입니다.

그럼 그걸로 뭘 하죠? 해결책은 무엇일까? 그리고 제대로만 하면 계절성 우울증에 안 걸리거나, X, Y, Z만 하면 73% 정도 완화할 수 있는 것처럼 솔루션이라는 단어까지 사용하는 것에 주의하고 싶습니다. 저는 간단하고 쉬운 답은 없지만, 몇 가지 방향지향적인 생각을 공유하고 싶습니다.

첫 번째 생각. 성경에 계절적 우울증에 대한 구절은 적어도 직접적으로는 없다. 하지만 성경은 가득 차 있고, 절대적으로 폭발합니다. 그들이 옳다고 알고 있는 것들을 하지 않는 사람들을 위한 도움과 함께요, 좋고, 도움이 됩니다. 성경은 마땅히 스스로 돕지 못하는 이들을 위한 도움의 모든 것이다. 내 말은, 출애굽기에는 우리가 주님에 관해서 갈 수 있는 곳이 너무 많아 그의 노예가 된 백성들에게 와서 구원이 있을 거라는 좋은 소식을 전할 수 있어 당신을 보고 들었지만 사람들은 알 수가 없어. 그것은 그들에게 전혀 도움이 되지 않는 것 같아. 그들의 억압은 매우 심합니다. 그래서 우리는 희망의 말조차 항상 우리에게 들어와 많은 변화를 일으키지 않을 것을 아시는 하나님이 계십니다. 우리에게는 우리의 죄와 실패, 반복되는 죄를 용서하시는 하나님이 계십니다. 하나님은 70번이나 용서하시는 분이에요 우리가 우리를 해치고 삶의 길에서 벗어나게 하는 일을 하는 앞에서요 그는 우리가 유혹에 빠졌을 때 힘을 주고 탈출구를 제공하겠다고 말하는 사람이다. 그가 우리에게 명하신 일들을 할 수 있도록 힘을 주실 것이다. 그는 너와 함께 있을 거야. 내가 집중하고 싶고 아마도 착륙하고 싶은 곳은 단순히 시편 121편의 언어일 것이라고 생각한다. 하나님은 우리의 수호자이십니다. 그가 우리를 붙잡고 있다는 것. 그리고 시편 121편에서 눈을 들어 무언가를 보는 것, 산의 모습을 보는 것, 물론 하나님이 창조하신 것의 웅장함과 위엄을 볼 수 있는 무언가가 있습니다. 그 때에 기억나는 것은, 주변 국가들이 산꼭대기에 올라가서 아무런 도움도 주지 않는 거짓 우상들에게 희생제사를 드리는 동안, 시편 편찬가는 이것이 진정한 도움의 그림임을 깨닫게 된다는 것입니다. 이것은 나를 만드신 하나님입니다. 나를 그의 손에 친절하고 부드럽게 감싸 주시는 하나님입니다. 그가 산을 만든 장본인이다. 자연의 어떤 면에서도 웅장함이 느껴집니다. 이것은 거의 그의 사육사가 누구인지 그에게 경이롭게 상기시켜주는 이 특별한 경우에 있는 산들을 골라낸다. 잠을 자거나 잠을 자지 않는 사람, 항상 지켜보고, 붙잡고, 그의 걸음을 지키고, 길을 지키는 사람. 우리는 결코 신의 자상한 보살핌 밖에 있지 않다. 잘 때도 그래요. 우리가 침대에서 일어나려고 발버둥칠 때 그것은 사실입니다. 우리가 성경을 읽지 못할 때 그렇습니다. 우리가 건강하게 먹지 않을 때는 그렇습니다. 모든 것이 암울하게 느껴질 때 그것은 사실이다. 한 가지 일을 더 하거나 계속 움직여야 한다는 걸 알지만, 그러고 싶지 않아요. 우리가 보든 말든, 우리에겐 보고, 지키고, 붙잡고, 또 끌어당기는 주인이 있다.

그리고 그것은 우리에게 시사하는 바가 있다. 첫째, 비록 우리의 발걸음이 흔들리더라도, 우리에게 보호자가 있다면, 작은 발걸음 하나하나가 그를 믿고 만회할 수 있는 것임을 상기시켜준다. 그래서 만약 여러분이 그렇게 한다면, 여러분이 하지 않는 일들이 있을 수 있지만, 사실, 여러분이 할 수 없는 일들, 혹은 최소한 여러분이 계절의 우울함과 음울함으로부터 여러분을 덜 끌어당기는 다른 계절에 그것들을 하는 방식으로는 하지 않았을지도 모릅니다. 하지만 여러분이 하고 있는 것과 할 수 있는 것이 있습니다. 그리고 그것이 중요하다는 인식을 주입하는 것은 멋진 일입니다. 여러분이 당연하게 여기는 간단한 것들은 정말 중요합니다. 우리는 CCEF의 상담사들입니다. 사람들이 단순히 상담을 받기 위해 나타날 때 얻는 것과 이기는 것과 축복이 있다. 그것은 주님이 여러분을 지켜주시는 것의 일부입니다. 단순히 여러분이 성장하고, 처리하고, 변화하고, 슬퍼하고, 예배할 수 있도록 돕기 위해 있는 다른 사람 앞에 자신을 두는 것입니다. 단순히 교회에 나타나 하나님의 백성들 사이에 있으면서 말씀을 듣고 노래를 부르며 기도하는 사람들 사이에 있는 것입니다. 그냥 일하러 가고, 가족 저녁 먹으러 가고, 기본적인 것들 중 몇 가지를 하는 거야. 우리 동료 중 한 명은 그의 영웅이 깊은 우울증에 빠져 아침에 침대에서 일어난 사람이라고 말한 적이 있는데, 이는 순전히 그리스도가 아침에 침대에서 부르신다는 것을 알았기 때문입니다. 그는 "나는 오직 예수님 때문에 아침에만 침대에서 일어난다"고 말했다. 그리고 우리 동료는 그것이 최소한의 믿음이 아니라고 말했다. 비록 아침에 단순히 침대에서 일어나는 것일지라도, 우리는 하나님이 우리를 부르신다는 것을 의식하기 때문에, 우리가 무언가를 할 때, 그것이 절대적으로 정점, 왕관이다. 그리고 그것은 믿음의 거대한 승리입니다. 여러분이 해야 할 모든 좋은 일들, 운동, 다이어트, 사람들 등등에 관해 말하자면 아마도 여러분을 지키기 위한 믿음의 한 걸음, 그리스도에 대한 확신의 목소리를 내는 것은 단순히 그들 중 한 명을 고르고, 아마도 문자로 최소한 한 사람에게 말하는 것입니다. 저를 위해 기도해 주시겠어요? 그리고 다음 주 언젠가 저에게 연락을 취해주실 건가요?"라고 말했습니다. "이런 상황에서 어떻게 성장해야 할지 모르겠어요. 꼭 계획이 있는 것도 아닌데 여기서 성장하고 싶다. 기도할래?" 기도하는 건 무서운 일이야 다른 사람에게 기도해달라고 하거나 체크인하라고 하는 것은 무서운 일입니다. 넌 더더욱 실패하게 돼 있어, 더더욱 공개적으로 말이야. 어떡해, 이제 혈압이 올라갔어. 하지만 사실, 그 정반대입니다. 내 스스로 바깥에 있는 무언가가 필요하다고 말하고, 무능함을 인정하고, 개인으로서 우리의 부족함을 인정하고, 공동체, 도움, 궁핍함을 위해 만들어졌으며, 서로에게 사랑과 선행을 향한 격려와 자극을 받았다. 그것은 신앙의 깊숙한 인간의 경건한 행위입니다.

나는 특히 성경을 읽는 것에 대해 생각한다. 당신의 성경을 읽는 것은 언제나, 언제나 좋은 생각입니다. 그것은 항상 좋은 일입니다. 그리고 저는 성경을 읽지 않는다거나, 성경을 읽으려고 고군분투한다거나, 읽어야 한다고 느끼는 만큼 자주 읽지는 않는다고 말하는 사람들을 자주 듣습니다. 그 언어는 죄의 언어입니다. 나 여기서 실패했어. 내가 하기로 한 성경 읽기를 하지 않았어요. 나 오늘 안 읽었어. 그리고 그들이 떠나는 방법은 기본적으로: 저는 제가 그것을 하지 않은 것에 죄책감을 느끼고 기분이 나쁩니다. 난 이걸 만회해야 해. 난 다시 정상 궤도에 올라야 해. 자, 물론 어떤 의미에서는, 규율을 가지고 스스로를 사물에 집착하는 것은 잘못된 것이 아닙니다. 그리고 이것을 인식하는 것은 좋은 일입니다. 그런데 생각해보면 주어진 날에 너무 바빴거나, 일이 너무 많았거나, 스트레스를 많이 받아서 결국 그날 점심을 못 먹었던 것 같다. 그날 오후 4시쯤, 죄책감을 느끼지 않아요. 배고파요. 음식이 절박하다고 느끼는데, 그것이 제가 주어진 날에 성경을 읽지 않을 때 느끼고 싶은 것입니다. 그리고 그것이 바로 여러분이 성경을 읽지 않을 때, 심지어 하루에도, 주어진 시간이든, 오늘 아침이든, 성경을 읽었을 때든, 여러분이 오늘 오후에 필사적으로 읽어야 할 때, 여러분은 그 성경을 읽지 않았을 때, 그것을 느꼈으면 하는 열망입니다. 여러분은 배고픔과 의에 대한 갈증과 배고픔과 하나님의 말씀을 듣고자 하는 갈증을 열망하겠습니까? 그리고 다시, 이걸 듣고 "그래, 난 성경에 굶주리지 않았어."라고 말할 정도로요. 뭔가 있어, 특히 겨울에는, 그냥 내키지 않아. 내가 직접 하게 되면 살아나질 않아 다시 한번, 그것이 당신의 기도의 외침이 되게 해주세요. 주님, 제가 당신의 말에 더 굶주릴 수 있도록 도와주실 수 있나요? 당신은 그 요청을 다른 사람에게도 말하고 그들에게 당신을 위해 기도해달라고 부탁할 건가요? 그는 "내가 성경책을 펴면 성경이 더 목마르게 되기를 기도해 달라"며 "내가 성경책을 펴면 조금만 더 살아서라도 성경이 오기를 기도해달라"고 말했다. "주님께서 내 안에서, 어떤 식으로든 나를 움직이게 하실 거라고"

우리의 사랑하는 멘토이자 친구이자 전 동료인 데이비드 포울리슨의 생각을 끝으로 마치겠습니다. 그리스도인의 삶, 즉 거룩한 삶의 많은 부분이 그리스도의 형상 속으로 빨려 들어가 있다고 하셨는데, 그래서 그 많은 부분이 올바른 방향을 향하게 되는 것입니다. 그가 말하길 어떤 계절은 평원을 가로질러 달리는 것 같다고 했어 가젤처럼, 뛰어오르고, 뛰어오르고, 뛰어오르고, 뛰어오르고, 뛰어오르고, 신앙에서 자라는 것처럼 말이야 그건 사랑스럽고, 멋지고, 신나지만 가끔은 전혀 움직이지 않는 것 같아 그리고 그 시대에는 한 발짝도 나아갈 수 없을 때조차도 올바른 방향을 마주하는 것이 엄청난 승리라는 것을 알아야 합니다. 그리고 그는 항상 바닷속의 저수지의 비유를 사용하곤 했다. 만약 여러분이 바다 한가운데로 나와서 해안 쪽으로 돌아섰을 때 갑자기 바닷물이 바다로 빨려 나가는 것을 깨닫는다면, 여러분은 발을 모래 속으로 파고들게 됩니다. 단순히 움직이지도 않고 바다로 떠내려가지도 않고, 해안 쪽으로 자신을 향하게 하는 것이 당신이 할 수 있는 모든 것일지도 모른다. 때때로, 우리 삶의 어떤 계절에는, 단순히 삶을 향해, 해안가를 향해, 필요한 것을 향해, 주님을 향해, 때로는 그것이 가장 심오한 승리입니다. 그리고 저는 우리 중 많은 사람들이, 그 겨울의 어두운 물을 빨아들이고, 음산하고, 에너지가 없는 것을 우리가 좋은 것으로 알고 있는 것으로부터 멀리하고 있다고 생각합니다. 때로는 단순히 해변을 향해서, 주님을 향해서, 주님을 향해서, 주님을 간직할 능력을 향해서, 우리가 필요로 하는 것이 바로 승리, 영광, 기쁨, 회복, 유지입니다. 내가 기도하게 해줘.

하느님, 저는 단지 모든 것이 우리의 마음과 몸을 짓누르고 있는 것처럼 한 사람 한 사람을 위해 기도할 뿐입니다. 우리들 중 많은 사람들은 이번 시즌에는 심지어 이 시즌 자체가 우리에게 영향을 미치는 방법이 있을 것이다. 당신이 우리의 관리인이라는 것을 알 수 있도록 도와주실 수 있나요? 우리가 필요로 하는 바로 그 개인 맞춤 방식으로 우리를 만날 수 있겠니? 당신의 존재와 도움과 사랑을 위해 우리를 조금 더 배고프게 해주실 수 있나요? 아멘.
주소 추천 0