• 접속자(417)
  • 검색
  • |
  • 로그인
  • 회원가입

[CCEF] Counseling Is Theological

Counseling Is Theological

Published: February 01, 2016

Yes, the title—Counseling Is Theological—is making you sleepy. But let me explain. Theology can, indeed, be boring. Some theological books read like an old encyclopedia article or an oversized dictionary. But theology done well is electric. It reveals to us the very mind of God and it compels us into action. There is nothing more exciting.

Theology looks for patterns in Scripture. What recurs? Are there particular themes? What seems especially important? It assumes that there is coherence and unity in Scripture because God inspired it all, and that coherence reflects the order of God’s thoughts.

When you discover actual patterns, Scripture becomes less of a list of favorite, somewhat disconnected passages and more of a coherent story with the major themes always apparent. Think of some of the well-known musicals, such as Lion King or Les Miserables. There are certain recurring tunes throughout. Each time you notice the tune you feel like you are in familiar territory, but each time you hear the tune it accumulates more of the story. By the time you reach the finale, the familiar tune now evokes all the significant moments of the story, and you can’t help but cry.

So when we find the patterns in Scripture, we tune in. We keep track of the patterns as they accumulate more of the story. We savor them. As we savor them, we begin to live out of them. This is why counseling is theological: because we live out of our theology, and counseling focuses on life lived. 

Here are a few examples of some themes in Scripture. They are ones that we can savor, ones that we can live out of. And some are so beautiful that they make us cry.

God speaks and we respond. When you read Paul’s epistles you find a predictable structure: first he identifies what God has done in Christ and then invites us to respond to God’s initiating work (e.g., Eph 2:13, 19; 4:1). It turns out that this structure is embedded in the Old Testament, even apparent in the Ten Commandments. They begin with what God has done. “I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery” (Ex 20:2). Then those commandments teach us how to respond to his rescuing love.

John’s first epistle captures the same pattern when he writes, “we love because he first loved us” (1 John 4:19). God takes the initiative toward us and we respond. That is the way life works in the kingdom of heaven.

Indeed, God speaks and we respond. So what do we do with this bit of theology? Once we get started the applications never end.

God always moves toward us first. He always loves us more.  Such love provokes us to thankfulness, joy and worship.

Legalism, in which the law of God becomes most important, feels religious—but it is wrong. Legalism suggests that we act and then God responds.

Disregarding God’s law is also misguided. The law, understood rightly, is a delight. It is as if the Lord said, “I have taken the initiative of love toward you from the beginning of time. Now you are going to want to know how to love me in return. Here are ways you can do that.”

When we live in such an imbalanced relationship, where our God always loves first and most, we have a hard time being arrogant or judgmental. Humility becomes natural.

All eyes are on Jesus. He is God’s Word in person. God has spoken to us in Christ. All transformation begins with knowing Jesus and what he has done. Then, amazed at his sacrifice, we respond.

Here is another pattern in Scripture.

God is “a se.” This is a quieter, more esoteric piece of theology. When we talk about God’s aseity, we mean that he is “of himself” or “from himself.” He was not created, and he is not dependent on his creation. In other words, he does not need us in order to be complete and fully satisfied. His name, “I am who I am” (Ex 3:14) expresses his aseity.

Unlike all the other gods who were born, derivative and interdependent, the true God is seated over all, and is complete in himself. We need him to live, move and breathe, but he does not need us. He is under no compulsion to create, love and adopt us; he loves us simply because he loves us. This again emphasizes the asymmetry in our relationship with the Lord. His love is freely given first, and is greater than our own.

What can we do with this?

God’s love is not stingy. He doesn’t dole it out to his favorites and restrain it with the rest of us. The picture he gives us is one of lavish, overflowing abundance. We, in turn, can repent of any thought that God’s love is like man’s love.

Since his love was freely given when we were still sinners and he redeemed us through the blood of Jesus, why would we think that our continued failings would make him love us less? We, again, can repent of our contaminated understanding of his love.

His love sets our sights higher. We want to love, not because of what we will get in return. We want to love because we have received the abundant love of God.

Now for a final theme that we can trace through Scripture.

We take what we know about God and we cry out. I was reading Psalm 107 and noticed a phrase, but it didn’t really stand out. “Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. . . Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love” (v. 6, 8). These same words appeared a few verses later. Now I was listening. A few verses later they came again and the pattern was clear. This was important in the story of God’s people, it was important in the mind of God, and so it is important for me. By the time it was repeated a fourth time, I was already anticipating the refrain and was ready to add it to the details of my day. And I had tears over how God had so graciously revealed how we are to live.

I was doing rudimentary theology. I was on the lookout for things emphasized, echoing and familiar. When I found them I knew God better, and knew more about how to live as one of his people. Cry out, watch what he does or reflect on what he did, give thanks—that is the rhythm. And yet this simple way to live before God is so much harder than it looks. Our natural tendency is to cry rather than cry out (Hos 7:14), and so God patiently reminds us that we are intended to speak from our hearts to him.

There are dozens of other themes in Scripture. We often know them as doctrines—the doctrine of God, of how we change, of the church, of the end times, of heaven, and so on. They emerge as we ask certain questions of Scripture—such as, Who am I? And they emerge when we look for patterns throughout Scripture. As Scripture unfolds, all those doctrines shape our understandings of life and how to help people through hardships.

Biblical counselors are theologians. We look for patterns in Scripture, we notice patterns in people, and we bring those two together. And there are even times when the emergence of a clear pattern in Scripture, spoken at the right time to another person, is enough to make us aware that we are standing on holy ground—a place where God spoke and someone responded.

This article orginally appeared in the CCEF NOW 16 Magazine. Free Magazine Download

1.상담챠트
2.신체문제
3.정신구조
4.마음이해
5.변화과정

상담시리즈 현장실시간 학차신청 세미나

필독서1
필독서2

원장 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 2019-08-29 (목) 20:55 4년전
(구글 번역)

상담은 신학 적이다
게시자 : Ed Welch
주제 : 성경 상담, 신학
게시 날짜 : 2016 년 2 월 1 일
 45 41

그렇습니다.“신학 상담”이라는 제목은 당신을 졸리 게합니다. 그러나 설명하겠습니다. 신학은 실제로 지루할 수 있습니다. 일부 신학 적 책은 오래된 백과 사전 기사 나 대형 사전처럼 읽습니다. 그러나 신학은 잘 이루어졌다. 그것은 우리에게 하나님의 마음을 나타내며 우리를 행동으로 이끌어줍니다. 더 흥미로운 것은 없습니다.

신학은 성경에서 패턴을 찾습니다. 무엇이 되나요? 특별한 테마가 있습니까? 특히 중요한 것? 그것은 하나님 께서 모든 것을 영감으로 하셨기 때문에 성경에는 일관성과 연합이 있다고 가정하고, 그 일관성은 하나님의 생각의 순서를 반영합니다.

실제 패턴을 발견 할 때, 성경은 좋아하는, 다소 단절된 구절의 목록이 아니며, 항상 주요 주제와의 일관된 이야기가됩니다. Lion King 또는 Les Miserables와 같은 잘 알려진 뮤지컬에 대해 생각해보십시오. 전체적으로 반복되는 특정 곡이 있습니다. 당신이 익숙한 영역에있는 것처럼 느끼는 곡을 발견 할 때마다, 그 곡을들을 때마다 더 많은 이야기가 축적됩니다. 피날레에 도달하면 친숙한 노래가 이야기의 모든 중요한 순간을 불러 일으키며 도움을 줄 수는 없습니다.

성경에서 패턴을 찾을 때, 우리는 조정합니다. 우리는 패턴이 더 많은 이야기를 쌓을 때 패턴을 추적합니다. 우리는 그들을 맛볼 수 있습니다. 우리가 그들을 맛볼 때, 우리는 그들로부터 살기 시작합니다. 상담이 신학적인 이유가 바로이 때문입니다. 우리는 신학 밖에서 생활하고 생활에 초점을 맞추기 때문입니다.

다음은 성경의 일부 주제에 대한 몇 가지 예입니다. 그들은 우리가 맛볼 수있는 것들이며 우리가 살 수있는 것들입니다. 그리고 일부는 너무 아름다워서 우리를 울게합니다.

신이 말하고 우리는 응답합니다 바울의 서신을 읽을 때 예측 가능한 구조를 찾게됩니다. 먼저 그분은 하나님이 그리스도 안에서 행하신 일을 식별 한 다음 하나님의 시작 사업에 응답하도록 초대합니다 (예 : 엡 2:13, 19; 4 : 1). 이 구조는 구약 성서에 포함되어 있으며 심지어 십계명에서도 분명해 보입니다. 그들은 하나님 께서하신 일로 시작합니다. “내가 너희를 이집트 땅에서 이끌어 노예의 집으로 데려 간 당신의 하나님 여호와입니다”(출 20 : 2). 그런 다음 그 계명은 우리에게 그분의 구출 사랑에 응답하는 방법을 가르쳐줍니다.

요한의 첫 서신은“우리가 처음 사랑했기 때문에 우리가 사랑합니다”(요한 일서 4:19)라고 썼을 때와 같은 패턴을 나타냅니다. 하나님은 우리에게 주도권을 행사하고 우리는 응답합니다. 그것이 천국에서 생명이 작동하는 방식입니다.

실제로, 하나님은 말씀 하시고 우리는 응답합니다. 그래서 우리는이 신학으로 무엇을합니까? 일단 시작하면 응용 프로그램은 끝나지 않습니다.

하나님은 항상 먼저 우리를 향해 움직입니다. 그는 항상 우리를 더 사랑합니다. 그러한 사랑은 우리에게 감사와 기쁨과 예배를 유발합니다.

하나님의 율법이 가장 중요 해지는 법률은 종교적인 느낌이지만 잘못입니다. 법률은 우리가 행동하고 하나님이 응답하라고 제안합니다.

하나님의 법을 무시하는 것도 잘못된 길입니다. 올바르게 이해되는 법은 기쁨입니다. 마치 주님 께서 말씀하신 것처럼“처음부터 당신을 향한 사랑의 이니셔티브를 취했습니다. 이제 당신은 그 대가로 나를 사랑하는 법을 알고 싶을 것입니다. 그렇게 할 수있는 방법이 있습니다.”

우리가 하나님을 항상 가장 먼저 사랑하는 불균형 한 관계에 살 때, 우리는 거만하거나 판단하기가 힘들다. 겸손은 자연스러워집니다.

모든 눈은 예수님을 봅니다. 그는 직접 하나님의 말씀입니다. 하나님은 그리스도 안에서 우리에게 말씀하셨습니다. 모든 변화는 예수와 그가 한 일을 아는 것으로 시작됩니다. 그리고 그의 희생에 놀랐습니다.

다음은 성경의 또 다른 패턴입니다.

신은“그 자체”입니다. 이것은 조용하고, 난해한 신학입니다. 우리가 하나님의 성신에 관해 이야기 할 때, 우리는 그가“자신의”또는“자신으로부터”임을 의미합니다. 그는 창조되지 않았으며, 그의 창조에 의존하지 않습니다. 다시 말해, 그는 완전하고 완전하게 만족시키기 위해 우리를 필요로하지 않습니다. 그의 이름은“내가 누구 니이다”(출 3:14)는 그의 성실성을 나타낸다.

태어나고 파생되고 상호 의존적으로 태어난 다른 모든 신들과는 달리 참 하나님은 모든 사람 위에 앉으시고 완전하신 것입니다. 우리는 그분이 살고 움직이고 숨 쉬어야하지만 그분은 우리를 필요로하지 않습니다. 그는 우리를 창조하고 사랑하며 입양 할 의무가 없습니다. 그는 단순히 우리를 사랑하기 때문에 우리를 사랑합니다. 이것은 다시 주님과의 관계에서 비대칭 성을 강조합니다. 그의 사랑은 먼저 주어지며 우리 자신보다 큽니다.

우리는 이것으로 무엇을 할 수 있습니까?

하나님의 사랑은 인색하지 않습니다. 그는 자신이 가장 좋아하는 것을 사용하지 않고 나머지 사람들과 그것을 제지하지 않습니다. 그가 우리에게주는 그림은 풍부하고 넘쳐나는 풍요로운 것 중 하나입니다. 우리는 하나님의 사랑이 사람의 사랑과 같다는 생각을 회개 할 수 있습니다.

우리가 여전히 죄인 일 때 그분의 사랑이 자유롭게 주어졌고 그분이 예수의 피를 통해 우리를 구속 하셨기 때문에, 우리가 계속 실패하면 그분이 우리를 덜 사랑하게 될 것이라고 생각하는 이유는 무엇입니까? 우리는 다시 그의 사랑에 대한 오염 된 이해를 회개 할 수 있습니다.

그의 사랑은 우리의 시력을 더 높여줍니다. 우리는 그 대가로 얻는 것이 아니라 사랑하기를 원합니다. 우리는 하나님의 풍성한 사랑을 받았기 때문에 사랑하고 싶습니다.

이제 성경을 통해 추적 할 수있는 마지막 주제가 있습니다.

우리는 하나님에 관해 알고있는 것을 가지고 울부 짖습니다. 나는 시편 107 편을 읽었고 문구를 보았지만 실제로 눈에 띄지는 않았습니다. “그런데 그들은 어려움을 겪고 여호와 께 부르짖고 고난에서 그들을 구해주었습니다. . . 그들이 주님의 확고한 사랑에 대해 감사하게하십시오.”(6, 8 절). 이 같은 말은 몇 구절 후에 나왔습니다. 지금 듣고있었습니다. 몇 구절 후에 그들은 다시 와서 패턴이 분명했다. 이것은 하나님의 백성의 이야기에서 중요했고, 하나님의 마음에서 중요했기 때문에 나에게 중요합니다. 그것이 네 번째로 반복 될 때까지, 나는 이미 자제를 기대하고 있었고, 그것을 내 하루의 세부 사항에 추가 할 준비가되었습니다. 그리고 나는 하나님 께서 우리가 어떻게 살아야하는지 은혜롭게 계시하신 방법에 대해 눈물을 흘 렸습니다.

저는 기초 신학을하고있었습니다. 나는 강조되고 반향하며 친숙한 것들을 경계하고있었습니다. 내가 그들을 찾았을 때 나는 하나님을 더 잘 알았고 그의 백성 중 한 사람으로서 사는 방법에 대해 더 많이 알았습니다. 울고, 그가하는 일을 보거나, 그가 한 일에 대해 반영하고, 감사를 표하십시오. 그것은 리듬입니다. 그러나 하나님 앞에서 사는이 간단한 방법은보기보다 훨씬 어렵습니다. 우리의 자연스러운 경향은 외치지 않고 울기위한 것이므로 (호 7:14), 하나님께서는 우리가 우리의 마음에서 그 분께 말하려는 의도를 참을성있게 상기시켜줍니다.

성경에는 수십 가지의 다른 주제가 있습니다. 우리는 종종 그것들을 교리, 즉 하나님의 교리, 우리가 어떻게 변화하는지, 교회, 끝 시대, 하늘 등으로 알고 있습니다. 성경은 우리가 누구입니까?와 같은 특정한 질문을 할 때 나타납니다. 그리고 성경 전체에서 패턴을 찾을 때 나타납니다. 성경이 전개됨에 따라 그러한 모든 교리는 삶에 대한 이해와 어려움을 겪는 사람들을 돕는 방법을 형성합니다.

성서 상담자들은 신학자입니다. 우리는 성경에서 패턴을 찾고 사람들의 패턴을 발견하고 그 두 가지를 하나로 모 읍니다. 그리고 다른 사람에게 적시에 말한 성경에서 분명한 패턴의 출현이 우리에게 하나님의 말씀과 누군가가 응답하는 곳인 성지에 서 있음을 우리에게 알리기에 충분할 때가 있습니다.

이 기사는 원래 CCEF NOW 16 Magazine에 실렸다. 무료 잡지 다운로드
 45 41
관련된 컨텐츠

당신이 말하는 것 : 전 CCEF 학생 & 인턴, Brittany Aills
    우리의 감정과 하나님과의 관계
    사역 및 생활 : David Powlison의 개인 업데이트
    승인을위한 생활
    두려운 걱정
주소 추천 0