• 새글
  • 접속자(422)
  • 검색
  • |
  • 로그인
  • 회원가입

[CCEF] 고통스러운 놀라움과 엠마오 길 (Painful Surprises and the Emmaus Road)

When I was in high school, I went to see The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring with a friend. We knew absolutely nothing about the film, including the key detail that it was based on a book divided into three volumes. The cinematography and costumes were impressive and engaging, but over the course of the movie, we felt somewhat overwhelmed by the number of characters and struggled to follow the complex storyline. The problem really came as we were approaching the two-and-a-half-hour mark. I checked my watch and thought to myself, “This story doesn’t seem anywhere close to wrapping up.” The band of travelers that had set out for Mordor began to split up, and suddenly Frodo and Sam were standing atop a mountain, eyeing their destination…in the far distance. Soon, the screen faded to black, and the credits began to roll. 

We sat there in the dark, stunned and dumbfounded. “What in the world…?” “What just happened?” Our incredulity quickly turned into annoyance. “That was the worst…movie…ever!” “I can’t believe I wasted three hours of my life on that!” We fumed as we exited the theater, vowing that if a sequel was forthcoming, we would certainly never watch it. 

Twenty years have passed and I still ponder: Why were we so upset? The intensity of our response was almost comical! I assume it’s because we had signed up for a particular experience: an escape from our stressful world for a few hours during which we would vicariously enjoy a happy ending. What we got—after patiently wading through a long, confusing movie—was a cliffhanger that came out of nowhere. It was both a painful surprise and surprisingly painful. It was like we had asked “for a fish, [and received] a serpent” (Matt 7:10). 

I know this is kind of a silly story to use here. I recount it because I have seen a similar formula play out many times: something unexpected and unwelcome occurs, and you are stunned by the pain. The most painful surprises are the ones you never see coming. I’m talking about those moments when you find yourself in shock, saying to yourself, “This wasn’t supposed to happen. It wasn’t supposed to be like this!” The breakup you never wanted and never saw coming. Walking into your boss’s office hoping for a promotion and leaving his office without a job. Assuming you are in your prime years until the moment you receive the grim news of a serious medical diagnosis. And I don’t think this only applies to big disappointments but small insignificant ones as well, especially when we rely on predictability to provide us comfort or a sense of control: becoming enraged because a restaurant got your takeout order wrong, breaking down in tears when a friend cancels your plans together, snapping at your children because they made an unexpected mess. It seems that both our most traumatic and most triggering experiences occur in the moments when we are expecting something good and are blindsided by something that is far from good.

I expect that the disciples on the road to Emmaus felt this way. These two men were reviewing how things had gone horribly wrong, and they sorrowfully (and unknowingly) recounted these things to Jesus. They had expected Jesus to redeem Israel, but their hopes were crushed by his crucifixion, and they assumed it was all over. 

Jesus responded to them (my paraphrase): “You expected something else, so you can neither recognize the truth of God’s storyline nor locate your place in it.” He then reoriented them to his story and reenacted his last meal with them. Their eyes were opened, and for the first time, they saw that Jesus’ suffering and death were not only predicted but necessary for the glorious redemption that they had hoped for. 

What a clear picture of the kind of help we often need. We need to be repeatedly reoriented to God’s storyline, our place in it, and what part we play. What I mean is this:

We default to interpreting pain and brokenness (especially when they surprise us) as dangerous signs that our stories have gone off the rails or that God’s promises are in jeopardy. The truth is that our union with Christ means it is necessary that we “suffer these things [before we can] enter into…glory” (Luke 24:26).

We default to pursuing resolution in the here and now—believing that we can obtain and maintain order, purpose, and fruitfulness; achieve resolution in our work, security, and stability; maintain longevity in our relationships; and overcome pain and postpone death. The truth is that we should grieve deeply that brokenness remains in our story as we accept that there are still many “not yets” in this chapter.

We default to believing that the burden to create a good story for ourselves is on our shoulders. For things to turn out right, we must be more savvy, more skillful, more resilient, or more responsible. The truth is that our story is in the hands of a good and wise Author, and we can trust that he’s moving things in the best direction. 

If you’re wondering what happened to my story with The Lord of the Rings, I’m happy to share that it had a surprise happy ending. I gave it a second chance and went to see the next installment: The Two Towers. And there my eyes were opened to its captivating beauty. 

I imagine today, tomorrow, and the next day, Jesus will invite you to see that your story is more than meets the eye. When you experience a painful surprise, Jesus is there with you. He will reorient you to what’s true here and now and help you to see that your road will also end in glorious redemption.

1.상담챠트
2.신체문제
3.정신구조
4.마음이해
5.변화과정

상담시리즈 현장실시간 학차신청 세미나

필독서1
필독서2

김지인 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 2022-04-30 (토) 10:30 1년전
내가 고등학교에 다닐 때 반지의 제왕: 친구와의 반지 원정대를 봤다. 우리는 이 영화에 대해 세 권으로 나누어진 책에 바탕을 두고 있다는 핵심 세부 사항을 포함하여 전혀 아는 것이 없었다. 영화 촬영과 의상은 인상적이고 매력적이었지만 영화가 진행되는 동안 우리는 등장인물의 수에 다소 압도되어 복잡한 줄거리를 따라가기 위해 고군분투했다. 문제는 우리가 2시간 30분대에 가까워지고 있을 때 정말로 찾아왔다. 시계를 확인하고는 "이 이야기는 마무리할 만한 곳이 없어 보인다"고 속으로 생각했다. 모르도르를 향해 출발한 여행자 무리들이 흩어지기 시작하더니 갑자기 프로도와 샘이 산 꼭대기에 서서 먼 곳의 목적지를 바라보고 있었다. 곧 화면이 검은색으로 바래고 크레딧이 굴러가기 시작했다.

우리는 어둠 속에 앉아 망연자실하고 어안이 벙벙했다."도대체…?" "방금 무슨 일이 있었던 거야?" 우리의 불신이 금방 짜증으로 변했다."그것은 역대 최악의 영화였어." 그 일로 세 시간을 허비하다니!" 우리는 극장을 빠져나가면서 화가 치밀어 올랐다. 속편이 나온다면 우리는 결코 그 영화를 보지 않을 것이라고 다짐했다.

20년이 흘렀지만 나는 아직도 다음과 같이 생각한다. 우리가 왜 그렇게 화가 났지? 우리 반응의 강도는 거의 우스꽝스러웠어! 나는 우리가 특별한 경험에 가입했기 때문이라고 생각한다(우리가 해피엔딩을 즐길 수 있는 몇 시간 동안의 스트레스 받는 세상으로부터의 탈출) 그런데 우리가 얻은 것은 참을성 있게 길고 혼란스러운 영화를 헤쳐나온 후 갑자기 튀어나온 벼랑 끝이었다. 그것은 고통스러운 놀라움과 놀라울 정도로 고통스러운 일이었다.그것은 마치 우리가 "물고기를 달라고 했고, 뱀을 받았다." (마 7:10)는 것과 같았다.

나는 이것이 여기서 사용하기에 좀 어리석은 이야기라는 것을 안다. 나는 비슷한 공식이 연주되는 것을 여러 번 보았기 때문에 그것을 되짚어 본다: 예상치 못한, 반갑지 않은 일이 일어나고, 고통에 놀라움을 느낀다. 가장 고통스러운 놀라움은 결코 오지 않는 것이다. 나는 당신이 충격에 빠진 것을 발견하는 그 순간들에 대해 말하고 있다. "이런 일은 일어나서는 안 된다. 원래 이런 게 아니었는데!" 당신이 결코 원하지도 않았고 앞으로도 보지 못했던 이별. 승진을 바라며 상사의 사무실로 걸어 들어가 직장도 없이 퇴근하는 것. 심각한 의학 진단에 대한 암울한 소식을 접하는 순간까지 당신이 전성기라고 가정하자. 그리고 나는 이것이 큰 실망 뿐만 아니라 작은 하찮은 것에도 적용된다고 생각하지 않는다. 특히 우리가 우리에게 편안함이나 통제력을 제공하기 위해 예측가능성에 의존할 때(식당이 당신의 포장 주문을 잘못해서 화가 난다는 것, 친구가 당신의 계획을 함께 취소할 때 눈물을 흘리며 당신의 아이들을 때리는 것. 그들은 예상치 못한 난장판을 만들었다.) 우리의 가장 충격적인 경험들과 가장 촉발된 경험들 둘 다 우리가 좋은 것을 기대하고 있을 때 그리고 결코 좋은 것과는 거리가 먼 것에 의해 맹목적으로 기습당했을 때 일어나는 것 같다.

나는 엠마오로 가는 길에 있던 제자들이 이렇게 느꼈기를 기대한다. 이 두 사람은 일이 어떻게 끔찍하게 잘못되어 갔는지를 복습하고 있었는데, 이런 일들을 예수께 슬프게(그리고 자신도 모르게) 되뇌었다. 그들은 예수가 이스라엘을 구원하기를 기대했으나 그의 십자가에 못박혀 그들의 희망은 무너졌고, 그들은 모든 것이 끝났다고 생각했다.

예수님이 그들에게 응답하셨다. "너희들은 다른 것을 기대했으므로 신의 이야기 줄거리의 진리를 알아보지도 못하고 그 속에서 자신의 위치를 찾을 수도 없다. 그리고 나서 그는 그들을 자신의 이야기로 방향을 바꾸어 그들과 함께 한 마지막 식사를 재연했다. 두 사람의 눈이 번쩍 뜨였고, 처음으로 예수의 고난과 죽음이 예견되었을 뿐만 아니라 그들이 바랐던 영광스러운 구원을 위해 필요한 것임을 알게 되었다.

우리가 종종 필요로 하는 도움의 종류에 대한 얼마나 명확한 그림인가. 우리는 반복적으로 하나님의 이야기 줄거리, 그 안에 있는 우리의 위치, 그리고 우리가 어떤 부분을 연기하는지 재지향할 필요가 있다. 내 말은, 이게 무슨 말이야?

- 우리는 (특히 그들이 우리를 놀라게 할 때) 고통과 파손을 우리의 이야기가 궤도를 벗어났거나 신의 약속이 위태롭다는 위험한 신호로 해석하는 것을 기본값으로 생각한다. 진실은 우리가 그리스도와 결합하는 것은 "이것들을 우리가 ...영광에 들어가기 전에... (눅 24:26)"하는 것이 필요하다는 것을 의미한다.

- 우리는 질서와 목적, 그리고 결실을 얻고 유지할 수 있고, 업무, 안보와 안정에서 해결책을 얻고, 관계에서 장수를 유지하고, 고통을 극복하고 죽음을 연기할 수 있다는 믿음으로 지금과 지금에서 해결책을 추구하는 것이 기본이다. 진실은 이 장에 아직도 '예츠가 없다'는 말이 많다는 것을 받아들이면서 우리 이야기 속에 깨진 것이 남아 있다는 것을 깊이 슬퍼해야 한다는 것이다.

- 우리는 스스로 좋은 이야기를 만들어야 하는 부담이 우리의 어깨에 있다고 믿게 된다. 일이 제대로 되려면 우리는 좀 더 현명하고, 더 능숙하고, 더 탄력 있고, 더 책임감이 있어야 한다. 사실은 우리의 이야기는 선하고 현명한 작가의 손에 달려 있으며, 우리는 그가 사물을 가장 좋은 방향으로 옮기고 있다고 믿을 수 있다.

반지의 제왕과의 내 이야기가 어떻게 되었는지 궁금하다면, 나는 그것이 놀라운 해피엔딩을 맞이했다는 것을 공유하게 되어 기쁘다. 나는 그것을 다시 한 번 기회를 주고 다음 작품인 두 개의 성을 보러 갔다. 그리고 거기서 그 매혹적인 아름다움에 눈이 떠졌다.

나는 오늘, 내일, 그리고 다음 날, 예수님께서 당신의 이야기가 눈에 보이는 것 이상의 것임을 보라고 초대할 것이라고 상상한다. 고통스러운 놀라움을 경험할 때 예수님이 함께 계신다. 그는 지금 이 순간에도 진실된 것을 여러분에게 가르칠 것이며, 여러분의 길이 영광스러운 구원으로 끝나도록 여러분을 도울 것이다.
주소 추천 0